Merry belated Christmas!! First of all let me start out by saying how happy I am to be at a computer. I have basically been computer-less since Sunday, December 23rd and although this will prove how dependent I am on my tech toys, I have been going NUTS. I’ve done a TON of traveling this holiday season and I’m so exited to share my journeys with you! The first leg of my trip was kind of intense because it involved two layovers. My final destination was Baton Rouge, Louisiana and I had to fly through two of my favorite airports – Washington National Airport in DC (really in Arlington, VA) and Charlotte International airport.
For the average traveler trying to get home for Christmas, enduring two layovers is basically ridiculous. That said, I’ve learned from my seasoned traveler friends that a multi-layover flight isn’t a bad thing, especially if you belong to a rewards program with that airline. Remember, the more flights you take, the more miles/points you earn, regardless if it’s all one trip. For me, the fact that my two layovers didn’t require a huge time suck, yet allowed me to earn at least 500 more miles than I would have if I just had one layover, ended up being a win. Besides…I found ways to entertain myself 🙂
Whenever I fly, I tend to turn into a five-year old and need multiple ways to keep myself from being insanely bored. Here are my top five boredom-beater must haves:
- Amazon Kindle – You don’t need the fancy one. I stocked my $79 kindle with books ranging from Pretty Little Liars to Decision Points, the memoir of George W. Bush
- Neck pillow – Sleeping always beats boredom. It’s unbelievable how much this $10 pillow (that you can buy at any airport) has come in handy. My advice? Go for the plush pillow, don’t buy an air pillow
- Sky Mall catalogue – This pertains more to something to look at in flight vs. bringing on the flight with you but seriously, it is so entertaining. It has the oddest, most amazing products ever created. Me and the guy I sat next to laughed all the way from Charlotte to Baton Rogue while flipping through it
- O, The Oprah Magazine – I love Oprah. You know this. Why not read some life changing advice while I fly through the skies?
- iPhone, iPod, any music playing device – There are a lot of children in the airport during the holidays…like A LOT. Headphones are the best way to block out their screams
Heading home for Christmas pictures below!